By David Krieger
- That Hiroshima and Nagasaki’s past will not become any other city’s future.
- That the new UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons will get at least 50 ratifications and enter into force.
- That there will be no further proliferation of nuclear weapons to other countries.
- That no insane leader will initiate a nuclear war and leaders of nuclear-armed countries will stop taunting each other.
- That nuclear deterrence will be recognized for the fraud that it is.
- That there will be no accidents or miscalculations leading to nuclear catastrophe.
- That the parties to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty will engage in good faith negotiations, as the treaty requires, for an end to the nuclear arms race and for nuclear disarmament.
- That there will be no cyber-attacks on nuclear weapons systems, leading to the launch of nuclear weapons.
- That the nuclear weapons states will halt their plans to spend hundreds of billions, even trillions, of dollars to modernize their nuclear arsenals.
- That people everywhere will realize the necessity for peace in the Nuclear Age and will demand that their governments seek peace and the abolition of nuclear weapons.
*David Krieger is President of the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation. Sign up to receive the Foundation’s free monthly newsletter, The Sunflower, at www.wagingpeace.org. [IDN-InDepthNews – 02 January 2018]
Image: Test launch of minuteman missiles. Credit: Wikimedia Commons
IDN is flagship agency of the International Press Syndicate.
facebook.com/IDN.GoingDeeper - twitter.com/nukeabolition